Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Ultra-Hydrating Balm - Review


As you lovelies probably already know, my hair is extremely dry. Ever since I can remember, I have had to apply palmfuls of oils and products to nourish and tame the cactus formally known as my hair. Because of this, I am constantly on the hunt for new and awesome conditioners as I have never truly found the perfect one. Is the perfect one even really out there, or am I doomed to only find ones that are close but no cigar?

A few weeks back I was at my local hair salon getting a trim when I decided to browse their wall of  products wanting to try something new. A few stylist recommendations later and I left for home with this in hand. According to the back of the bottle:

"Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm intensely conditions very dry, thick, coarse hair. Formulated with aloe extract, cupuacu butter, and apricot kernel oil to help envelop and smooth hair. Biolage Hydratherapie enriches dry hair with essential moisture, manageability, and softness. Formulas with aloe vera botanical help nourish and restore hair's health and moisture balance, revealing its natural softness, shine, and radiance."

So, how did it work? Quite good actually up until I read and researched the ingredients list (will explain more below). My favorite thing is just how little I need to coat all of my hair (I have medium length hair) a tiny bit goes a very long way with this conditioner which is unheard of for me, since I am so accustomed to using mountains of product. As far as routine, I simply wash my hair, apply the conditioner and cover with a plastic cap for 10-15 minutes before cool rinsing. Seems easy enough right? This is actually a bit of a negative for me because this balm only seems to work if I really let it soak in for ten minutes or more. I know that 10 minutes is not a long time whatsoever but it is a bit of an inconvenience if you're looking for a quick wash and go. I can't necessarily fault the product itself for this since my hair is so naturally dry but, it is something to be aware of if your hair is similar to mine. After my hair is completely dry it is very soft and manageability is spectacular. However, my hair is also naturally frizzy and this does absolutely NOTHING for frizz. Zero, nip, nada. So I still find myself having to use another product to combat that.

So far everything sounds pretty decent right? I was honestly shocked when I started researching the ingredients list because this is where the conditioner severely falters; it is absolutely chocked full of chemicals and fragrances, with quite a few of them being down right unhealthy for your hair. In hind sight, I should have done this before I made a purchase but unfortunately, I did not and now I'm stuck with it. I have bolded all of the unsavory and fishy ingredients below, as always please do your own research and decide what is best for you!

Ingredients: water, cetearyl alcohol, palm oil, behentrimonium chloride, glycerin, fragrance, isopropyl alcoholstearamidopropyl dimethylamine, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, apricot kernel oil, cupuacu seed butter, limonene, citric acid, chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, hexyl cinnamal, coumarin, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, benzyl alcohol, hydroxycitronellal, amyl cinnamal

Isopropyl Alcohol aka rubbing alcohol is extremely drying

Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine is used to provide slip and to keep product from separating but can be corrosive and irritating if not neutralized properly.

Limonene is a strong citrus based solvent often used in cleaning products that may cause skin irritation.

Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride is a solvent mainly used as an antiseptic for wounds. May cause skin irritation.

Coumarin is used for fragrance and may irritate the skin. Toxic if eaten.

Benzyl Alcohol is another drying alcohol; can also be irritating in large amounts.


Overall, I really do like the way that this conditioner makes my hair feel but, would I re-purchase? Absolutely not. The vast list of chemicals, solvents and fragrances is something that I personally do not feel comfortable with and my hair is already dry enough without the use of not one but two different alcohols. No thank you! If this conditioner did not contain the multiple irritants and alcohols I would be in love but, as of right now, I will not be using it unless it is reformulated at some point without the harsh ingredients.

Retail: $17.99 (varies) // 10.1 fl oz

Ingredients information came from Tightly Curly

Much love xo

3 comments:

  1. Sally's actually carries a GVP brand of this product or General value product that is suppose to be a dupe for the Matrix Biolage conditioning balm and I like it. I have read some reviews that say it is even better and it cost about $7. I have a few conditioner reviews up on my blog from Nutrogena, Nexxus, Giovanni, Macadamia and Shea Moisture etc. I am a bit of a product junkie when it comes to hair products too because I love finding something great. I just did a review on the Pearl of Argan deep conditioner as well which was wonderful. My fav aside frm the pearl of argan are the Nexxus Humectress deep conditioner and the Macadamia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! I'll be sure to check it out next time I visit Sally's :)

      Delete
  2. I think the ingredients work as a stabilizer of some sort. As long as it is not used as a leave in conditioner, this is fine. I have tried it and I absolutely love it. Its reduced breakage 100 fold, so I will keep using it.

    ReplyDelete