Monday, December 31, 2012

Is Your Conditioner Lacking?

Hi lovelies! I know all too well how difficult the search is for a really great conditioner, and not only that, but one that doesn't break the bank. We've all bought them before, conditioners that didn't quite measure up or were just a little lackluster. Try adding these simple ingredients before you throw that bottle out.

Looks gross, I know! 
My last, not so great conditioner was the Nexxus Keraphix so that's what I will be using in this how-to. For my personal recipe: I took a small bowl with about 1/2 cup of conditioner, I then added two egg yolks, 2-4 teaspoons of honey, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and two tablespoons of my Organix Moroccan Argan oil. Mix well. I LOVE the way that this mixture smells, the honey really gives it a mild, pleasant sweetness which I very much appreciated because I absolutely hate the smell of the Nexxus Keraphix. This mix can get very messy so I recommend transferring it to a squeeze bottle. If you have any left over, this will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before it goes bad.

I shampooed my hair and dried it just a bit so that it wasn't dripping wet. I then applied the mixture to my hair, covered it with a plastic cap and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Do not use heat because you might scramble the eggs (unless that's your thing lol) I rinsed my hair with cool water (cool/cold water seals in moisture whereas warm/hot strips it away) and applied a quarter size amount of John Freida Straight Fixation Creme and my Organix oil before blasting my hair with the cool setting of my hairdryer for a couple of minutes and then letting it air dry.

This mixture made my hair feel SO soft and silky! If you've read my past hair entries then you know that my hair is naturally BONE dry, and keeping it moisturized is a definite hassle. From the roots to the ends, my hair feels so good and hydrated after using this. I will be trying a banana and avocado mixture in the future to compare which I like most. Another great thing that I noticed after using this, my hands and cuticles felt so soft and hydrated, so I'm probably going to mix this into one of my body products as well (minus the conditioner).

Now, why should you add these ingredients? For starters, I'm a firm believer in natural hair care being the way to go, for anyone. Hair always seems to be healthier when less chemicals are involved. Secondly, I believe this method is cheaper, for you to add a few household ingredients to perk up your existing bottle of conditioner rather than tossing it out and buying something else.

What do each of these ingredients do for you? Well each addition definitely serves it's own purpose.
  • Honey: This ingredient is a humectant. In short, it helps to seal in moisture.
  • Olive Oil: Like many oils (shea, jojoba, coconut) this ingredient adds essential fats, shine, moisture and nourishment to your hair (your body as well!) It also strengthens the hair follicle to decrease damage and breakage
  • Bananas: These are no longer just for breakfast. Bananas add moisture and softness to your hair. (You must mash or blend the bananas thoroughly otherwise you'll end up with banana chunks in your hair!)
  • Avocado: Just like the oils. Avocado's add fats and proteins to your hair to not only strengthen it but to add shine and body as well. Also great for hair that tangles easily! 
  • Egg Yolks: Like avocados, egg yolks add proteins and moisture.
So you see, all of these ingredients have some really amazing benefits, and I'm positive that at least one of these attributes is something that we all look for in a conditioner. So try it! Most of these ingredients are probably already in your kitchen. I'm sure some of you are a bit weirded out by the idea of using food as hair care, but think about it, before all of these chemicals and pre-made things were invented, these are the types of ingredients that people used. It's important for you to cater to your specific hair needs and try what recipe works best for you, everything is completely customizable. These recipes can without a doubt work alone, no existing conditioner needed. And as always, please if you have an allergy, skip that ingredient. 

Comment below and tell me if you've tried any of this! I would love to know how it worked.

Much Love & Happy New Year's Eve! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment